A variety of Coasun formulations have been used successfully in baking applications such as cookies, cakes, scones, tea biscuits, pie and tart shells, pizza dough, bread, brownies, waffles, meal replacement frozen dough, muffins, and biscuits. They have also showed promise for laminated bakery products such as croissants and danishes. All blends are white in appearance, odorless, tasteless, and creamy in texture. Depending on the application Coasun can replace your current fat source without compromising cost, taste or flavor.
The ‘Coasun classic’ blend is a basic low saturated fat, zero trans fat shortening alternative made with liquid vegetable oil, water and an emulsifier. It has demonstrated great functionality in batter cakes, where it incorporates air well, supports cell structure during baking, and gives cakes a nice even grain with a soft tender mouthfeel.
Another blend, containing palm stearin, is ideal for use in brownies, pie dough, cakes, hard cookies and crackers. Mixtures of palm oil or fractions thereof with either soybean oil or canola oil are a great choice for functionality, cost and quality.
Looking beyond these two formulations, Coasun can be made with virtually any vegetable oil including low linolenic soybean oil, high oleic canola oil, high oleic sunflower oil, and palm oil, resulting in products with unique functional and nutritional properties.
If required, Coasun is the ONLY shortening alternative that can be made without the use of hydrogenated fat, without the use of large amounts of saturated fat, and free of palm oil. Some groups are very concerned about both health and sustainability. Coasun is the only solution for this.
Coasun can substitute vegetable shortening, butter, lard and bakers’ margarines in a wide range of bakery applications. Coasun heat resistance spread can substitute table margarine and butter.
It fulfills all the functional requirements of a high quality all-purpose shortening including:
- Heat stability. Coasun working range is 0 ˚C to 55 ˚C. It can tolerate temperatures of 50 ˚C for extended periods of time (days). No refrigeration required.
- Excellent plasticity, consistency and stability in a wide temperature range (5-55 ˚C). Cutting into flour is extremely easy. Oil does not leak out and material retains similar consistency.
- High shortening ability. Coasun’s film interferes with the formation of long gluten strands (hence ‘shortening’). Oil cannot do this since it forms globules. It has excellent lubricant properties.
- High batter overrun. Coasun incorporates and stabilizes large amounts of air during mixing operations.
- High emulsification properties
- Good water absorption properties
- Provides all the functionality of a “cake gel”, liquid shortening, and baking margarine simultaneously.
Here are some recipe ideas for small-scale or large batch baking with Coasun:
Coasun is happy to share application sheets for other bakery products with potential customers. Also, feel free to contact us with specific application questions.